Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

"Conewago Chapel"
30 Basilica Drive, Hanover, Pennsylvania


Hook & Hastings Pipe Organ, Opus 1866

Installed in June 1900

2 Manuals, 10 Ranks

Tracker Action






8’ Salicional

8’ Doppel Floete

8’ Violin Diapason

8’ Viola Da Gamba

8’ Stop’d Diapason

8’ Open Diapason

8’ Trumpet

4’ Octave

4’ Flute Harmonique








16’ Open Diapason







Swell to Pedal Unison


Great to Pedal Unison


Swell to Great Unison


Swell to Great Super Octave


Blowers Signal (no longer in use)


3 Combination Pedals


The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in the small town of Edge Grove, was originally a combination log dwelling and chapel built in 1741 under the direction of Father William Wappeler, S.J.  The original chapel was dedicated to St. Mary of the Assumption but was immediately called “Conewago Chapel.”  Father James Pellentz, S.J., had the current stone church built, which was completed in 1787.  Father Pellentz named the new church the “Sacred Heart of Jesus.”  It was the first parish church in America dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

 The church was given the honored rank of Basilica on June 30, 1962 by Pope John XXIII. 

The Hook & Hastings pipe organ was installed in June 1900.  It is a wonderful instrument.  The music from this small organ can fill the church due to the marvelous acoustics of the church and the large scaling of the pipe work.


Back to Area Organs

Home Page